Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I need a spoon

Day 3 of this current Seattle heatwave. I'm not real into complaining about things like this but I've gotten about 6 hours of sleep in the last 2 days and it's making me more than cranky. Today is the first day that I'm wearing non business casual clothes to work, dawning a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. It felt a little weird leaving my place this morning wearing this, but that's the joy of working for a small Seattle company that prides itself on "respect of individuals and individuality", and no dress code. Of course, it's always been this way, but as a manager, I've always felt it was more appropriate to be above the fray. Not today

Forecast showing 101 for my neck of the woods today so tonight should be as pleasant as last night. With both dogs and Jackson, the four of us ventured out of the humidity and into another sweat box last night following some good fun at the Little Gym. Jackson and I were pretty tired but the heat made sleep uncomfortable and from about 8:45 to midnight, Jackson had a few intervals of crying, mostly for mommy. I think he sees her as the ultimate comfort, being able to make anything feel better. He's probably right in that thought process. I do my best to help him get situated; sing some songs, get him something to drink, read a book and tuck him in (when's it's not scorching in the apartment). Mom's are just somehow better at telling kids "everything is gonna be alright", and they believe them. I'm working on developing that, for his sake and for my sanity. It's rough when you just need them to go to sleep and you know that they'd be happier if they could just sleep. Especially when that's about all you can think about, I know that's what was running through my mind last night. His room was much cooler than the rest of the place and I narrowly choose to sleep in my own room as he held onto my hand for that mommy comfort. I replaced my hand eventually with a monkey, that he hugged harder than I've ever seen him hug anything. Pretty powerful visual that I know I can't do justice with in these words.

5:15 came earlier than I wanted, both dogs sprawled out next to me sleeping soundly as I exited the bed and hit the shower. I swear the water couldn't have been cold enough, still 80-something in my bedroom as I made my way to the bathroom. I'm thankful for A/C in my truck and on this train as I write this. My toes are actually a little chilly with these flip flops, which will change in a few minutes as I enter the streets of Seattle and make my way into the office.

Started watching "The Watchmen" yesterday on the iPhone, and I have to say, I'm not as disappointed as I originally thought I'd be. The story is a little hard to follow but I think they've done a good job, both with story line and cinematography. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet but make sure you're settled in and paying attention, there's lots of back and forth in the time line.

Should be a quick day in the office, hopefully, although I think I may have just jinxed myself in saying that. Looking forward to hitting the pool up with the other legion of residents that will surely be on the same wavelength tonight. At least there's one way to cool down, right? Will probably need to hit the grocery store too for some popsicles and other cool treats, anything to stay cool. Hopefully this is the last sticky night for awhile, I need sleep, a spoon and some comfort to get through this.

Led Zeppelin on the head phones as I wrap this up this morning, not a horrible way to start the work day.

Stay blessed, and cool-

1 comment:

Brandon and Lynsay said...

I too wore flip flops to work today, although I did because lately that is all that is fitting my feet :) love you brother xoxo