Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Cover Me

The iPod is full of new stuff this morning. New in the sense that I haven't listened to some of this stuff in years, and some I barely know. The Fray is on right now, but another band is heavy in my chest this morning. Kaiser Mansfield is a band from the early 90's that I'm sure still plays to this day. If you're a big fan of blues gospel/southern rock, they are worth the listen. As you well know, I've spent a lot (maybe too much) time thinking about life and love and those that have come and gone too early in my life. I struggle with death and life and letting go of things that are beyond my control and comprehension. I've said for a long time that I am not afraid of dying, it's going to happen someday, it's inevitable. At this age, I'm not ready, there's too much living still to be done, and there's another life that is counting on me living it with him. There's no truer moment than hearing that laugh or that cry in the dark during the early hours of the morning. He needs me almost as much as I need him.

Back to Kaiser Mansfield, the song below is one of those that from the first time I heard it back in high school to today, has the same defining impact on me. I am not the man I know I can be everyday and I am not the witness I know I should be. My faith has never defined me, but driven me to make impactful choices and show compassion in a world lacking both. And when I'm at my deepest darkest moment, my knees and my heart know where the conversation starts. I really am a long long way from my home, but until I get there, I'm going to live it because of grace and sacrifice for me.

Long Way from My Home
Tonight I am missin' you
Oh, tonight I am missin' you
In the light of day
I had lost my way
An' tonight I am missing you
Never thought I would come this far
I never thought I would come this far
I have come through such pain
in the strenth of your Name
Never thought I would come this far
I am a long. long way from my home
I am a long, long way from my home
I've been a pilgrim on this earth
since the day of my birth
I'm a long way from my home
Tonight I'm sittin' on this porch in the rain
Tonight I'm sittin' on this porch in the rain
But Hallelujah by and by
I will meet you in the sky
I'm still a long, long way from home


Stay Blessed all-

No comments: