Monday, August 03, 2009

Details in the Fabric

Well it was bound to happen, inevitable really. One can only go so long before the situation comes, and when it does and you find yourself unprepared to handle it, panic can set in. In my case, I'm really surprised it took as long as it did. So I did what anyone else would do, I headed to the drug store, for a plunger. Yeah, 7 weeks of apartment living, being well balanced and regular and Saturday morning I managed to back up the toilet in my master bathroom. I hadn't purchased a plunger, hadn't had a need to own one since I moved and it's not one of the things you normally have on the list of things to replace when you move and leave a world of stuff behind. I can only imagine what goes through the mind of the check stand guy when someone comes through their line with a bunch of groceries and a plunger. Hopefully, if they don't have one already, it's a reminder to head down the cleaning aisle and pick up a $3.97 plunger before they find a reason to need one. Way less stress knowing it's there if you should need it.

That minor crisis averted, Jackson and I spent a good two hours of a Saturday at the dog park with Bean and Guinness, who loved running and playing with a less than normally busy pack of dogs. Normally the dog park we frequent in Fort Steilacom is much busier on a summer Saturday but this being Seafair weekend in Seattle and the weather having been exceeding the 100 degree mark, there were much fewer dogs and people. Jackson seemed to enjoy himself, chasing Bean around through the high brush and hiding behind trees only to pop his head out to say "I see you" in a sound that has been developing into his own voice. What a trip it is to have my son turning from an infant that needs 100% of my protection and direction into a real life human toddler that forms his own opinions, makes choices and tells me what the deal is. Of course, we don't always agree on what the deal really is, but it's interesting having small world conversations with such a young mind that is constantly taking in data, processing it and building it into the framework of what I pray will be a fruitful life of joy and compassion and never know the pain of what I've been through or repeat the same mistakes I've made. Some of them are far too costly to the soul to have to imagine he may deal with at some point. I know my parents would have done anything to prevent the pains I've felt in my lifetime, and I know instinctively that I would do the same for him. That's just parenthood, even though I know deep down there's nothing mine could have done to avert my own pains and there's nothing I will be able to do to prevent some of his. That part is just life as a human being. Sometimes I forget that, as I look for the off switch on my head and heart in situations where I know it's just going to be trouble at the end of the day, and it's probably going to hurt. That's just another part of life, making choices that seem logical and seem like they're pretty cut and dry, but the flip side of it all could cost you more than if you took a different originating path. The first always seems like it outweighs the counter, and sometimes it does. Other times, you end up paying for them three times over. I've never been afraid of the pain or fearful of how much something might hurt, you know eventually it's going to, in one way or another. Learning to lessen the pain by preparing and being proactive to prevent it is the goal. Too bad I haven't been more successful at that lesson, although it has helped shape me into the man I am today. Not sure if that's all the awesome, but I'm still learning through making mistakes and having toilets attempt to overflow. I've just gotten lucky and kept my feet out of the overflowing shit, figuratively speaking of course.

Listened to the latest Jason Mraz album front to back this morning on the train ride and subsequent walk through the city. There's a few hidden gems in it, some witty language and some very poignant thoughts. Can't say that I'll continue to listen to most of it though, I'm not a fan of it in it's entirety, but like I said, there's a few pieces of good stuff. "Details in the Fabric" is probably my favorite track at the moment, anything with James Morrison harmonies are worth hearing and soaking up.

Went out for Seafair Sunday, the biggest party on water every year on Lake Washington. No idea how many boats actually made it out this year, seemed a little more mellow than past years that I've been out, but it didn't slow down our party. We had three boats in total, maxed out on people per boat and had a pretty damn good time. My sunburn today says I wasn't as diligent as I thought I was being with applying the sunscreen. I blame that on the squirt gun full of watermelon vodka, multiple bottles of yummy other stuff (not really sure what it was other than red hot alcohol) and 2 kegs of adult liquid something that kept getting poured into my big red cup and emptied into my mouth. Coupled with that, jumping and diving into the lake every 10 or 15 minutes on top of water balloons flying and super soakers raining down, I can't imagine why the sun screen didn't do it's job... oh well, I'll live. It was a good time for sure, old friends and new ones, lots of sing along's and a lot more drinking and subsequent thinking.

**Question of the day... What is the appropriate number of escalator steps to be behind the person in front of you? I think it's 2 but the person behind me this morning sure didn't**

This morning is off to a hurried pace so I'm wrapping this up a little prematurely, I'm sure I'll have to expand on later today or even tomorrow. Lots and lots of interesting things going on right now...

Stay blessed-

No comments: