Friday, October 23, 2009

Chicken Little for Dinner

It’s been quite a productive week on the work front and in the life of Ryan. Even this morning, before I left the house at a quarter past six, I was able to download the new ‘Dead by Sunrise’ album, get it onto my iPhone, take the dogs out for a very wet and rainy potty, check the bank account, transfer some money between accounts, pay some bills and get the kid up and ready for the day. By 6:35 I had Jackson checked into day care, dry cleaning dropped off and picked up and hitting the freeway with my 16 oz. Quad White Hot Skinny Mocha in hand, rocking out in gridlocked traffic on I-5. It still to this day, amazes me how shitty Seattle drivers are when the rain comes, as if it’s something new to them. Thousands of stupid Chicken Little’s worried that “the sky is falling” as raindrops land on their windshields forcing them to pump the breaks as they grope for the wiper controls in the darkness of their cars interior. It’s asinine and if you happen to be one of those asssholes that can’t figure it out, please, do those of us that are well schooled on the task of driving a vehicle in every weather condition a favor; STAY OFF THE FREEWAY! Seriously, why must you bring your fear of falling rain in the darkness directly in front of my commute. It’s not as if I really want to be  into the office on a Friday later than I have to be. Your fears are only prolonging the length of my day and my level of patience is at a bare minimum at that hour of the morning.

Now that that is out of the way, I will step off of my road rage soap-box and get back to the business at hand, me. Like I said, it’s been a pretty fast week all the way around between personal and business. A lot of conversation; good, bad and otherwise indifferent. Even when it seems to be going good, there’s an underlying feeling of unease and restlessness that seems to make time stand still in certain moments. Moments in which the uncertainty of tomorrow seems to be more apparent than ever and there’s an excitement, and a fear, to discover what really lies in the road ahead. In some aspects, the unknown can be pretty cool, nothing left to be predictable. Something new. Someone new. Something different. Someone different. Like Christmas morning all the time, you never know exactly what’s in the box behind the pretty wrapping paper and bows, and there’s so much excitement and sleeplessness that goes into waiting ‘til morning to tear the first part of the paper at the end and seeing exactly what you got. The fear comes when the package is wide open and exposed and it’s not what you thought it would be. After all the days and nights of staring at it under the tree, guessing at what it could be, after all the nights of laying in bed tossing and turning as you think about what could be behind that pretty paper, finding out it’s not really what you wanted and there’s no way you’ll make room in your space to fit in this new gift. I just don’t want to be let down anymore by my imagination, I’ve put too many years down the drain recently, and I don’t want to live that life again. I also don’t want to miss opening the right present. All in all that means opening a few and seeing what’s what. Problem there is it requires effort and time and untangling myself from all that I’m still entrenched in. Maybe one of the boxes will have some landscaping shears or a chainsaw. Yes, that is figurative

Heading to Dallas in a couple of days and there’s a lot to be done before I can head out. The list is long and probably not as time consuming as it looks in my hand. Jackson’s  mom is throwing a Halloween party for a bunch of kids on Saturday and my presence has been welcomed. I have very mixed emotions about being ‘invited’ to attend a party in my own home, the one I helped find, work on, live in and formed memories and began raising a child in. It makes me angry and sad that I’m ‘invited’, as if I’m a guest. It’s my house, my home, regardless if I currently live there or not and at the same time, it’s no longer my home or my house to claim. It hurts either way I look at it, being there or not being there, invited or not. I suppose I’d be as pissed if I wasn’t asked to attend, as hurt, maybe more embarrassed than I already feel. I don’t know if I’ll be there or not, it might be too hard and I also might miss out on some awesome fun times with my son if I don’t. I’m frustrated. I’m overwhelmed. Quite honestly, I’m just so tired of feeling ok, almost rad, for a few days and then feeling like someone just gave me a quick kick to the nuts. I’m also very tired of feeling like a whiner, it could always be worse.

A very good friend of mine is going through a similar separation, but one in which the child, who has been her heart and soul since birth, may be taken from her side unless she caves in, to reconcile a situation that will no doubt be worse for her, and her son, in the long run. She mentioned feeling “selfish” for not trying to work it out in fear that she’s “ruining her sons life” by stepping away from the toxic relationship she’s in. I know firsthand that parents that fight and bicker and aren’t in love with one another, don’t create the best environment for raising a child. I’ve been living it, I would know.  I mention this only because in the middle of me trying to discover the “why’s” in my own life, I’ve seen an even darker reality for someone I truly care for and want to do everything I can to help. In some weird twilight zone reality, my experiences are allowing me to give council in what really is a horribly difficult situation for her. Guess there’s a bright side to every cloud. Keep her in your own prayers as a mother who’s making an awfully tough decision, it really does suck. She’s in mine hourly.

So there it is, it’s taken me 4 hours to write this much in between solution design sessions, strategy and code development. It’s been a rough day and I am trying to bow out early. Working remote the rest of the day, after I make a stop at the Seattle Home Show and the Rack.

Stay blessed-

No comments: