Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tuesday Train Ride

If life was easy, would it be worth living? I've been writing a lot of music lately as it seems that the only time I feel like I have something personal to say is when there's some tragedy or devastation in my life. I've been praying more than I think I've prayed in the last 10 years, and often times I ask, "Why can't this be easy? When is it my turn to have something right?" I don't expect that those questions are to be answered in a way I'll ever understand or even what I want to hear. Often times, we tell people what they want to hear versus what they need to hear. I make a valiant attempt in that situation to always be truthful and say it how it is, much to the chagrin of the questioner. But that is what's expected right? Truth

My youth pastor from way back in the day at Boise Friends is now the pastor of a church outside of Houston called Friendswood Friends and thanks to the powerful medium of the internet, I get to have my Sunday Sermon every Tuesday via podcast. Check it out at http://www.friendswoodfriends.com/podcasts.htm or via iTunes. I suggest going back as far as possible and listen to David talk. He's an awesome human being, a great adviser and through everything, an amazing friend. He's an old soul to be sure, traditional in his beliefs but progressive enough to be fair, which is not the norm in most churches today.

The Transplants and Augustana on the iPod this morning, great balance of angst and softness. Yeah, I could use a cuddle, I'm not too proud to admit it.

The other music playing heavy on me today is turning into the soundtrack of my life. Aaron Lewis acoustic is pure and spot on and if you think Staind has turned a corner from the hard rock band that they once were and mellowed out, you need to have a listen to the latest album and beg me to burn you some Aaron solo stuff. I think the only difference between he and I right now, is he smokes an ounce a day, but our hearts and minds are in the same places. Give him a listen and know that emotion you hear while cuddled into your couch is the same place I turn to. There's some comfort in sorrow and well, it's truth. It's where you are, it's where I am.

Stay blessed----

1 comment:

Todd Mullins said...

Keep up the songwriting and any other creative medium you do. Your best stuff will come from your heartaches, and it's so cliché, but life will get better. Once it does, you'll have such a collection of gems to look back on and refer to, that your work will only get better, too.

I started my writing projects when I was in the dumps, mainly hashing out some pretty dark (and comedic) stuff. Now, I can write in that tone of voice without actually having to live through it.

Keep it up, man.

Peace...